Marantz | Super Audio CD Player with DAC – SA-KI Ruby
When skill and passion work together, expect a masterpiece.
Marantz was in at the start of CD, launching its first player – the original CD-63 – in 1982. By then, Ken Ishiwata had been with the company for four years, and was to play a major role in the development of Marantz players from the start. But he went further than that: early on he realised that there was scope for highly-tuned versions of the company’s players, and thus was born the trend of Limited Edition, Special Edition and, latterly Ken Ishiwata Signature models, all designed to take the exceptional CD performance of Marantz models to the ultimate level.
Of these, perhaps the best-known is the classic CD63MkII KI-Signature, which Ishiwata describes as ‘still one of the most musical CD players we’ve produced.’ Now there’s a new classic, engineered and extensively tuned to mark Ishiwata’s 40th anniversary with Marantz – the SA-KI Ruby. Drawing on the development process for the flagship SA-10, and designed by the same team, the SA-KI Ruby features a new disc mechanism built purely for audio, the “SACDM-3”, able to play SACDs, CDs, and compilations on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. It also has an asynchronous USB input, able to handle formats all the way up to PCM / DXD 384kHz/32bit and DSD11.2MHz, and handles all digital music with a unique Marantz Musical Mastering technology.
By upconverting all file formats to DSD, using advanced filtering and processing, then using employing direct 1-bit conversion to feed the analogue outputs, the SA-KI Ruby delivers a sound with vivid detail, effortless dynamics and remarkable presence – all qualities central to Marantz CD players over many generations.
The Marantz engineering team has created this player not just to mark Ishiwata’s 40th anniversary, but also to deliver the kind of sound able to bring you closer than ever to your favourite music. The reason is simple, and central to everything Marantz does – “Because music matters”.
At A Glance
• Engineered and extensively tuned by a team led by Ken Ishiwata, drawing on more than 35 years of Marantz expertise in CD players
• In-house-developed SACD/CD mechanism “SACDM-3”, designed purely for audio
• SACD/CD playback, and playback of compilations on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
• Asynchronous USB input for hi-res audio up to PCM / DXD 384kHz/32bit and DSD11.2MHz
• Isolation of USB and digital inputs to block noise from internal and external sources
• Innovative Marantz Musical Mastering ‘MMM-Stream’ upsampling to DSD and filtering
• Custom-designed 1-bit direct ‘MMM – Conversion’ from DSD to analogue
• New analogue output stage with Marantz HDAM-SA3 and HDAM-SA2 technology and low impedance output
• Power supply using toroidal transformer
• Dedicated headphone amplifier with alldiscrete construction featuring HDAM-SA2
• Laser-engraved ‘Ken Ishiwata’ signature and Ruby motif, marking Ken Ishiwata’s 40 years with Marantz